Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Ear Chronicles

Phil is home and well-pieced together! I'll be updating with pictures of the progress and anything funny he does while on major doses of Vallium. He was the perfect hospital patient, charming the nurses with his wit, scooting around in his open-backed gown and booties, and deciding that he likes the headband because, well, you know: karate kid. He had a tympanoplasty (gross picture here, nice drawing here) and mastoidectomy all because of a goddam cholesteatoma. The surgery was actually much more time-consuming and scary than they had originally thought. The cholesteatoma was very advanced and mandated the removal of portions of his ear canal, his hearing bones, and huge portions of his mastoid. Most importantly, they found that part of his brain was slowly collapsing into his ear cavity and a wall had to be erected and reinforced in order to keep his brain in the right spot (!!! here is where the wife starts loosing it!!!). I have pictures of all of this (did you know they totally bring you pictures of your spouse's insides afterwards?!) and I'll post them tomorrow. He got himself a new eardrum stretched (yes, they can do that) and faux hearing bones put in for the time being. Luckily, his surgeon is a badass lady who just returned from maternity leave to continue her cholesteatoma-ass-kicking job. She was very cool and calm as she told me about the amazing wandering brain and the fact that we won't be able to have sex for 6 weeks (I'm not even kidding, so don't laugh: it's not funny).
Here is Phil home from the hospital thinking about 6 weeks without sexual activity of any kind:

This is what his ear looks like. I've mentioned it once to him, but I'm not sure he realizes just how crooked his ears are now, in relation to one another, I mean. More pics to come.
This is what happens when he's left alone for an hour. They say THIS IS NORMAL so don't accuse me of bad caretaking just yet:
I asked Phil if he wanted me to tell anyone anything and since he can't really talk right now he just waved, so "Hi!" from Phil. He's doing ok at the moment, but I'll post all the gorey details as time passes...I mean, can you even WAIT to see all the packing that has to come out in 3 weeks?!? I can't.

9 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger angryf said...

man.. I'm crossing my fingers.. much love bro

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

+1

Will keep you in thoughts.

m

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger B. C. Lovato said...

Oh man, that's scary. Glad the surgery went well. Hope the recovery goes smoothly. And as an act of solidarity, I am witholding sexual relations from my wife for 6 weeks. She doesn't know yet.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Phil! We're thinking of you... both of you. If you guys need anything at all, just holla'!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Fumark said...

Really hoping that everything works out to a better situation than before. Escaping certain doom just in the nick of time seems to be a theme in our modern world, just ask *MY* doctors.

P.S. I already had to give up sex for 6 weeks after my surgery. I feel for you guys.

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting this site up. Yours is the first record I've found of what it's like after a mastoidectomy / tympanoplasty. I'm scheduled for one soon, and I'm glad I know more about what to expect when I get home.

I hope the recovery goes well for you. :)

Be well.

 
At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wondering how you are doing since the surgery. I had a CWD mastoidectomy May 2005. The recovery was horrible! Since then I have had a lot of problems with granulation tissue. These areas have been cotorized (sp?) many many times - but there is always more. Have you had any complications?????

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!


Feel free to surf to my website flipping houses ()

 

Post a Comment

<< Home